Saturday

Confession #24

Fire drills.

It's been a long time since I've done a fire drill...

When I was in the 1st grade, I was attending Tiffin Elementary, and we had our first fire drill. I remember that day I was wearing my new purple sweater with my new purple dressy shirt underneath. I was so excited to have that nice new outfit! I had taken the outside sweater off and put it in my locker in the back of the room. Later on that day, the fire drill took place. Sure. Try to explain to a first grader what a drill actually IS before sounding the alarm and traumatizing the poor kid. I'm standing in line to leave the school, bawling my eyes out because my sweater was new and I didn't want it to get burned up! Poor Rachel Brown had to explain to me that it was ok, and that there wasn't really a fire.

Fire drills at home....we were assigned at school to practice fire drills at home so that we would be prepared if a fire ever occured. That is a GREAT idea! I went home and we all did a fire drill. My dad's red jacket was going to be the "fire" and then we would all be in different parts of the house, and had to act according to where the "fire" was located. Our bedroom door was right across the hallway from the kitchen doorway. We open the door when the fire alarm goes off, and I see the red jacket laying in the kitchen doorway, and how do I escape? I jump right over it!!! Such a moron I was! I cried after that I think. I felt like an idiot...that much I remember.

So what lesson have we all learned??? FIRE SUCKS!!!!

No comments: