Tuesday

Confession #63

Dress Shoes

When I was little, I loved dress shoes. I loved to hear my teachers walk across the classroom with their dress shoes on...because I loved the sound they made on the tile floor. I wanted to be a teacher someday, so I was envious. I would jump at wearing my dress shoes anytime I got the chance, and I would walk anywhere that they would make noise. I would find reasons to walk in the basement...walk outside...I loved Easter because we always got a dressy outfit, which meant I got to wear my noisy shoes!

One time, my dad was working on the kitchen floor...the carpet foam had been glued to the tile underneath and he had to scrape it free. As he scraped, more and more tile flooring became visible underneath. So when he finally got it all done, I got on my nightgown, got out my dress shoes, and started walking! I walked on that floor in those dress shoes so proud...I am sure I looked like an idiot...but I was walking in my noisy shoes, so I didn't care!

In the 5th grade, I was selected with a few other students to make a trip with our principal, Mr. Ervin, to OU-C for a special project each week for a month. One week myself and another girl decided we were going to dress up. I got to school that day and she wasn't there...so it was just me and 3 boys going to OU-C. I tried to get out of it, pretending I had a headache...whatever I could do to NOT have to go...but I had to go anyhow. :( We were walking down the hallway, and one of the boys, John, turned to me in my nice, noisy dress shoes and said to me that I was being too loud in them. I became so self-conscious that I never wanted to wear them after that for fear of drawing attention to myself. :( It ruined all the fun now that I wear them to work everyday! AND not to mention, my mom and dad now have hardwood floors all through the house...for all the noisy walking pleasure a girl could ask for!!!

3 comments:

Bob Speakman said...

In the middle of the night I catcher tap dancing in the kitchen. That would be fine, but I had to stop her for 2 reasons:

1) Maleah was sleeping and
2) I hate Riverdance!

Anonymous said...

Maybe someday Maleah will like noisy shoes too! ( I hope so!)

Randi said...

She does love to hear the noisy shoes :) :)