Sunday

Confession #48

I was a sheltered child. And not in a bad way. I believe sheltering your children (to a degree) is a VERY good thing. How sheltered was I? I thought a period was something that happened in school when you changed classes. I thought S - E - X was kissing while naked. AND in "A Christmas Story" I didn't understand why Ralphie got in trouble for using the word "fudge". Nope I had NO clue. I didn't know what the "Eff-dash-dash-dash" word was that he referred to. I had no idea. I'd never heard it. I probably didn't even know the word until high school. Even then, I don't think I had everything completely figured out.

I appreciate that shelteredness. Today children know too much too soon. The question of the word never came up, wondering what it meant, because I had never heard it. I appreciate that so much.

Hopefully Maleah will keep her innocence too!

I still can't believe it took me THAT long to figure it out!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

We have wonderful parents and they did their job well! Today kids do learn things way too early! I pray that Kaitlyn and Maleah will be able to use common sense, and that with all of the stuff going on today we will be able to be more like our parents and teach them how to be good people! I mean we learned from the best!! We could not have two better parents than we do!! I love you Mom & Dad!! I Love You Miranda!! Stacy

Bob Speakman said...

Every generation probably says this, but I feel like parents today have it worse than any other generation:

In the 30's parents worried about their kids getting their clothes dirty or smiling for a picture.
In the 40's parents worried about their kids getting bit by a wild dog and dying of hypothermia.
In the 50's parents worried about their kids smoking or dancing to "that rock and roll".
In the 60's parents worried about their kids being a hippy, doing drugs or joining a cult.
In the 70's parents worried about their kids listening to Jimmie Hendrix.
In the 80's parents worried about their kids getting a "flock of seagulls" haircut and joining a band.
In the 90's parents worried about their kids doing drugs, drinking or smoking.
In the 00's parents worry about all of the above...except the wild dog/hypothermia thing.

The age of innocence declines by the decade. Thank goodness for people like you, honey, that still have some naivity. The world would be a much more cynical place without you! :)