Wednesday

Confession #51

I love grammar. I love editing things and finding errors in books. I was reading a Christian fiction novel a few years ago called 'The Oath' and I flagged every page I found an error on...I think it ended up being 50 pages total. So what is my confession?

I get annoyed at people who put no effort into their speech/writing skills (or lack thereof). Am I talking about you? I doubt it. Well, unless you're Bob... :) No, some of it is writing and some of it is speaking....Examples:

it's = it is
its = its
I would not write "Its raining cats and dogs." It should say "It's raining cats and dogs." Why? Because it IS raining cats & dogs (well, not right now, but I WISH!)

you're = you are
your = your
I would not send someone a message and say "Your welcome" I would say "You're welcome." Why? Because you ARE welcome. :)

supposedly not supposably
Did Rachel go to the store? Supposably... NO! It's supposedly! It's that crazy appalachia speech that gets you!

have gone not have went
I have went to Kroger many times. NO!!! I have GONE to Kroger many times. I've noticed this one alot lately....Bob says it too often...I correct him constantly, but it never sticks!

it's pronounced:
WASHrag not WARSHrag
leash not lish
creek not crick

What is it that we cannot pronounce our E sounds? Must be that appalachia thing!

Thanks for listening! :)

2 comments:

Bob Speakman said...

Some of this stuff really bothers me because:

1) I hear it all of the time and it annoys me, and
2) I end up picking it up as my own bad habit! :(

Anonymous said...

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!

Our local newspaper is sometimes FULL of typos.

One time they had "crips" for sale at the cemetery instead of crypts.

Another time they had an article about how to dress for work, and it said to wear a white dress shirt -- only they left out the "r"!!!!

Talk about a good laugh!!!

And I had the way people use apostrophes -- especially people who have all these fancy degrees and can't do punctuation. Did school not rub off on them at all????????????

Mary in Alabama