Wednesday

Confession #55

Vacation....

We all look forward to vacation, don't we? Time to get away...away from school...away from work...relax...enjoy yourself...Well, that's the vacation I WANTED to have...It didn't turn out that way.

It was the summer of '96. I was so excited, we were going to the beach! My 2nd trip to the beach ever. AND to make things even more awesome, I got to take my best friend, Melissa, with me! WOO-HOO! We got there on a Saturday...Topsail Island, NC. Ahhhhhh...such a WONDERFUL place! Melissa and I were up early Sunday, as was everyone else, ready to have a FANTASTIC week. We applied our suntan lotion...and started with a long walk on the beach. When we got back, we grabbed a sandwich and went out to play in the water. We even made "butt holes" in the sand with Patty...Just divits where our butts were sitting. It was SOOO much fun!

By the end of the day we were worn out, and burnt. We didn't think it was that bad at first...it was BAD! Neither one of us had remembered to REAPPLY our suntan lotion throughout the day. We could barely bend our knees to walk up the stairs it hurt so bad. SO I spent Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday inside. Nauseated. Hurting. Sad.

Finally, on Thursday, I was able to go back outside (cautiously). I was so excited! The fun was going to begin again! I was walking down the deck to our beach, when OWWWWW!!!!!! I hit my toe on the deck rung. It hurt SOOOOO bad. I can tolerate pain, I had Maleah with no epidural...and this was PAIN-FUL! It was so bad I couldn't walk. My mom and dad had to take me to the doctor on the island...and yep, I sprained my toe. Doesn't sound too bad...but in some instances a sprain is worse than a break. I couldn't walk. :( I couldn't walk on flat surfaces, and I DEFINATELY couldn't walk on sand or stand in the ocean. I was miserable!

And to top it all off...my great friend Melissa...she spent the whole week writing to her boyfriend back home. Blech!

Lesson to learn here??? Vacations aren't all they're cracked up to be!

1 comment:

Bob Speakman said...

Blasphemy! You dare to say these evil things of vacation! I've taught you nothing.

Honestly though, they aren't as great as we make them out to be. I mean I LOVE vacation, but if you focus to much on it you have a huge letdown when it is over.

Of course it has been so long since we've gone that I forgot what vacation feels like... :(